Snow - Lavender Loves It, Diane Hates It.

My sister-in-law, Diane, had just emailed me that she is sick and tired of the miserable snow & cold in Michigan. Now I hear that a huge snowstorm is heading her way. ISo I'm sure she is grinding their teeth to hear me say ithat I'm happy to see it snowing here right now. I love it.  Easy for me to say because we only get a little bit.  Most people picture Colorado winters full of snow and cold.  True, except for some places on the Western Slope like Grand Junction.  We have a desert-like climate and terrain which means little moisture, although we do get cold.  So when it rains or snows here, there isn't much complaining to be heard.  GJ isits in a valley so it seems to get even less moisture than the towns around it.  Because of the dry climate, the lavender, particularly those planted in the fall, need some moisture.  It's recommended that we water once every 4 to 6 weeks if there is no rain or snow. On Saturday it was 50 ish degrees and sunny so Con and I watered the plants around our yard. 


The reason I'm glad to see some snow today is that it will save me a trip to Angie's yard (where 35 lavender plants live). Since her hose is unhooked for the winter, I would have to water by way of the old-fashioned bucket method.  (Let's hear it ... aaaaawwwww). The snow will save me the trip, yaaaaa!  Oops, just looked out the window and the snowing has stopped. Well, that was short and sweet.  Hopefully it will start again.  I think GJ is a training center for apprentice weather forecasters because their accuracy rate is about 20%.  Those that get good, go on to some major city.  The others stay here for a long, long time. 

I am sorry that Diane and the family are getting such awful weather, but they are welcome to come and visit me anytime they want -- the extra bedroom is always ready. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you have been found out! I thought lavender at my house was simply an excuse to come visit your daughter occasionally! I see how you roll now! :)
    I did go to the website and yes, was able to get here to your blog with no problem. The email does not work.
    Currently grateful that I moved from both Michigan & Minneapolis out to good ol' GJ! Like your pics!

    ReplyDelete