Icicles and Panna Cotta

It's been cold here.  This icicle has been here for a week.  The day after I took this photo, it disappeared. I suspect the mailman didn't want to be impaled so took matters into his own hands. 
It's been below zero at night and I just hope the lavender plants are all snug in their beds.  Won't know until spring/summer so no point worrying about it now. At least they do get lots of sunshine even though it's cold.  One thing I love about this kind of cold is that it means fewer bugs next summer.  I know, I know ... some bugs are "good" bugs .... but those of you who know me know that the only good bug is a DEAD bug. 

I must confess I tried to make lavender panna cotta and it was .... awful!  I knew when I was making it that it wasn't going to turn out, but I still believe that miracles sometimes happen in the kitchen, so I kept at it.  Several clues that I should have heeded: 1.  Had no cream in the house - only skim milk - and it was too cold to run down to the store just for cream (whiny).  2.  I used some evap milk thinking it would be thicker than skim milk and maybe work.  When it came out of the can in clumps, I should have paid attention rather than just whisk them away. Later I looked at the date on the can and it was Nov 2009 - duh!  3.  Despite the fact that every cook who uses culinary lavender cautions to "use sparingly,"  I couldn't help but put in the measured amount of 1 tsp and then just a dash or two more.  The dash was overwhelming.

After pouring into ramekins and chilling for 4 hours, I had created a thin, milky, lumpy, bitter, geletanous mass.  Even Con wouldn't eat it and he loves just about everything I fix. So I'll have to try again.
As the old proverb goes ... no miracles for the lazy.  (Actually I just made that up).    1/10/11

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha, ha, mom some things never change! You have messed with receipes since forever!
    So Ron gave his mom the pillow. She absolutely loved it!! She opened the box & immediately knew the smell, evidently she is a lavender fan. She pulled an older pillow she had on her bed to show him & it was a lavender pillow from years ago that has lost it's smell. So perfect gift!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete