Sewing is done for the year.


This peach satin pillow was my last sewing item for the year.  A man wanted it for his mom who has back problems and thought that a buckwheat hull pillow may help her comfort level.  The Japanese have used buc in their pillows for centuries so there must be something to it.  I plan to make one for myself to test it out.  This one is peach satin on one side and cotton in a pattern on the other side - then trimmed with ivory.  One end is open (can be tied closed with a hidden ribbon) so the muslin liner can be removed.  Along with the buc there are several cups of lavender buds. The picture doesn't do it justice, it's a very pretty color.  I must admit that I had trouble sewing the trim at first.  I did a practice run on another piece and though I could do it on this one. But only three corners were good, I just couldn't get the fourth corner to look right.  I finally gave up and took the trim off the top and bottom and left it on the sides. So I'll be practicing when I get time because I'd like to get really good at making beautiful pillows. 

I got quite frustrated as I hurried to get my final custom orders done by the deadline and Con heard me muttering to myself.  I wondered aloud if there was a saint who helped sewers -- like St. Christopher for travelers and St. Anthony to find things.  Con looked it up and came back with the answer -- St. Anne!  My niece's name.  So St. Anne has become my new best friend. *****************

This picture is of a Snow White fleece neck wrap. I had found a remnant with enough material to make two.  When I went to the party in Delta at my friends home, I took them along with others to sell.  One of the ladies was recovering from cancer surgery and was encouraged to rest on the sofa.  After heating the liner in the microwave for 1 minute, I put it into the fleece cover and wrapped it around her neck.  She loved the warmth and the aroma and fell asleep in a few minutes. It was rewarding to see my product so useful to someone.   Have a Happy New Year.              Rosemary                             12/28/10      
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment