Red Kew Lavender

Isn't this unusual lavender?  A friend asked me if I knew anything about it.  She had seen it one time and thought it was so beautiful.  She wanted to find some and grow it here.  I had never heard of it and so did a little research.  It is a lovely red-violet color and has light pink bracts on the flower tops. The foliage is gray-green with short compact leaves.  It grows to about 16-18". The problem is that it is a Spanish Lavender that is hardy to US zones 8-11.  Here in Western Colorado we are zone 5 or 6 or 7 so it must be sheltered from low temps. To thrive, it needs more moisture than the English and hybrid lavenders that grow so well in our hot climate and dry soil.  I found a seller in Canada (Reichters) and purchased 3 plants.  I'll give one to my friend who introduced it to me and I'll try to grow the other 2.  Starting out I'll put them both in one large pot and watch them daily to be sure they are faring well.  Cross your fingers!!!     6 8 12






.






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment