A Bag Lady, Moi?


Angie showing latest handbag 8/21/12

12x15 Loops for adjustable strap
My worst fantasy has come true.  I've become a bag lady! Since making that first handbag, I tried a few more and they turned out good. A woman came over last week to buy a neck wrap and when she saw the bag, she bought it too! $28. Unfortunately I had not taken a photo of it. It's the same size as the first one I made but I used a solid teal color and a flowery cotton and added pockets. The 3rd one (photo) was a special request for a smaller denim bag. Instead of sewing the strap to the bag, I added loops so that it could be adjusted for a comfy fit. The first bag I made had a bit too much lavender in the shoulder strap so I put less in this one. Turned out nice. 


Fragrant lavender in shoulder strap

Writing about bag lady reminded me of a story from my "shady" past. Long ago and far away I was sitting in a food and drink establishment (ok, a bar) waiting for the clock to hit noon so I could order a bloody mary with my hamburger.  Sitting at the bar (I always liked a front row seat) I overheard the bartender say, "here comes Gladys" as he pulled out a shotglass. From the door came an ugly, dissheveled, tiny old woman hollering in a squeaky voice, "where's my drink?" She was appalling, and worse, she was greeting people as she hobbled in.  Rather than await her approach, I threw some money on the bar & fled.  Today, I say, bless that little old gal. The picture of her never left my mind.  Rather it tucked itself away & became one of the catalysts to move alcohol completely out of my life. Her trajedy became my gift. Thank you, Gladys, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment