Typical freaky spring in GJ

Channel 5 News guys just knocked at the door and asked if they could photo the flowers in the front yard.  On tonight's news they are going to remind people that the temp will drop below freezing so they may want to  cover the veggies and flowers. The reporter wanted a photo to go with the news.

He commented about how beautiful the flowers are and it reminded me that I take for granted the beauty that surrounds me.  At any time of the year I can look around the front or back yard and see beautiful plants. Through the toughest winters I can see the bright green color of the evergreens, the pale yellow tall grasses waving in the wind, the blue fescue scattered around -- if only I take the time to look and appreciate.  It goes without saying that the other seasons display abundunt color everywhere.  My favorite, of course, is the herd of lavendeers that keep multiplying and growing bigger.

We were so blessed to be able to buy this house back in October, 1996. The previous owner had built it in 1960 and took loving care of it. It has been featured in at least 4 times in local news articles.  You know it's still a small town when the news people knock on your door to ask if they can take pictures. One year a reporter was driving around looking for ideas. She asked if she could take some snow scene photos outside. I invited her inside and she asked if she could take some inside photos too.  I had just finished setting the table with my Christmas dishes and decorations and so she did a great feature article -- it was fun.

Another winter I saw my neighbor in the middle of the street with her camera ... didn't think much of it at the time. Then we received a Christmas card from her and inside was a beautiful photo of our house with the trees covered in icy crystals. She said she enjoys looking across the street at our house.  I feel the same way about a neighbor house that can be seen when sitting at our kitchen table. They painted their front door a bright shade of red and it's like a little gift that I get to look at each day. 

So even though we had a high of only 50 degrees today and it's been rainy all week, the sun will be out this weekend.  It's a pretty typical GJ spring ... April teases with warm weather and we get outside and prune the lavender -- but NOT the roses. It is so hard to wait until Mother's Day to do the roses but it's best to wait. Then it snows in the mountains, rains down here, freezes at night -- but the roses are safe.           4/26/11

No comments:

Post a Comment